Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Potato Pancakes

Good Food, Let's Eat!

Our meals have been quite boring lately. We seem to eat the same things day in and day out. I have made it a priority to liven up our boring menu while eating more healthy and wholesome foods. I had a wake up call on my last doctor appointment when my doctor told me that my cholesterol was dangerously high. From now on it is all about where I can cut the fat and still have tasty meals. After all I have four reasons to make a change, my kids!


This week I started off with a new spin on an old recipe that has been around for generations: Potato Pancakes. Yummy! They turned out fantastic and the best part was the kids couldn't even tell they were low-fat. The only thing to make them better would've been a nice warm glass of gluwein(German Christmas wine) like the ones found at the German Christmas Markets.

 
 
Ingredients :

4 cups mashed potatoes
1/2 cup egg substitute
1 cup breadcrumbs, divided
4 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
4 tsp extra virgin olive oil

4 tbsp chopped chives (optional)

-Combine potatoes, chives, 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, and egg substitute in medium mixing bowl.
-Combine remaining breadcrumbs and cheese on a plate. Divide potato mixture into 16 equal portions, dredge in breadcrumb mixture and form into 1/4 inch thick patties.
-Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet. Add 4 patties; cook 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
-Serve warm with unsweetened applesauce and low-fat sour cream.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you for taking such an important step for your family (and yourself.)

    ReplyDelete