Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Personalized Tile Coasters


I got crafty this past week. Christmas is coming and I still have a few people left on my list for gifts. I believe that handmade gifts mean more to the recipient than anything that can be bought at a store. I made these beauties for my father-in-law. He loves this kind of stuff.
 
 
 
 
What you will need to duplicate these:
 
4 (4"X4") tiles- These can be found at Lowes or Home Depot. They range in price from about $0.15 to $1.50 a piece. The ones I bought were from Lowes and were $0.33 each.
 
 
16 felt circles- I bought mine from the Dollar Tree. They came in packs of 12 and have adhesive already on them.
 
 
4 photos of your choice- I had 4" X 6" prints done at Walmart for $0.19 each.
 
 
clear coat- I used Rust-Oleum Crystal Clear Enamel I found at Lowes for under $5.00.
 
 
rubber cement- Can be bought at any craft store for around $3.00.
 
 
 
First cut pictures to fit so there is an outline of the tile in the background. Apply a generous amount of rubber cement to the surface of the tile. Place picture on top of the rubber cement and smooth out any air bubbles. Allow to dry overnight.
 
The next day, spray each tile with the clear coat in a well ventilated area. Allow to dry for 30 minutes then repeat with a second coat. Allow to dry for a complete 24 hours. Once dry, place a felt circle on each corner of the underside of the tile.
 

 
 
That's my kind of project....simple, that looks like you put a lot of effort into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment