Monday, November 26, 2012

Advent Calendar with Activities

December 1st is just a little under a week away and that means Advent starts. I figured this would be a good time to get my calendar finished. I have been wanting to come up with something that I can use year after year and I wanted something that would include an activity and a treat so I turned to Pinterest for some inspiration. There are plenty of ideas pinned, but nothing seemed to be what I was looking for. One day, during a shopping trip to Micheal's, I found these cute mini-stockings.
 
 
I happened to catch them on sale and had a 20% off coupon for my whole order which brought them down to $0.59 a piece. Score for me! I just love getting a good deal! I did also see some similar to these at the Dollar Tree which came in a two pack that I would have bought had I not already bought the ones from Micheal's.
 
I purchased some red, green, and silver fabric paint and embellished each stocking with a number from 1-24 thus creating my Advent countdown. I wrote out the activities we were going to do on plain white paper and glued each one to red and green construction paper. Then I cut them out creating a border with the red and green paper. Each stocking got an activity and a special treat.
 

 
Here's what I came up with for a list of activities for Advent:
  1. Decorate the tree
  2. Address Christmas cards
  3. Write a letter to Santa
  4. Make Christmas cards for soldiers
  5. Leave out wooden shoes for St. Nick
  6. Make cotton ball Santa and watch Santa's Coming to Town
  7. Make paper snowflakes and watch Charlie Brown Christmas
  8. See light show at Wiregrass Mall (any public light display will do)
  9. Make an ornament for the tree
  10. Random act of kindness
  11. Hang mistletoe and kiss under it
  12. Watch the Grinch and make Grinch punch
  13. Watch the Polar Express and make hot coca
  14. Play a game
  15. Visit Santa
  16. Go for a drive to see Christmas lights in our pjs
  17. Make gifts for teachers
  18. Watch Rudolph and make popcorn
  19. Read "The Night Before Christmas"
  20. Read the birth of Jesus- Luke 2
  21. Make fudge for gifts
  22. Go ice skating
  23. Make Christmas cookies
  24. Family Christmas party
  25. Have a Merry Christmas!


 
 
I hung each stocking on a piece of twine using some clothes pins I already had. Doesn't it look nice hanging across the mantle? I love it and it was so simple to make. Just one more thing to check off my holiday list of things to do. I hope you are doing the same.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment